18 July 2008

describe your god

Project Blog It

Did you hear about the anorexic, dyslexic, agnostic insomniac?
He couldn’t eat or sleep wondering if there was a dog.

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the first President of the Republic of Turkey, is so revered by his countrymen that every year on November 10, at 09:05 a.m. (the exact time of his death), the entire country comes to a complete stop and everyone stands stock still and quiet for one full minute. His picture is on all the Turkish banknotes. Shmonkey said upon returning from his trip to Istanbul, “Atatürk looks like Béla Lugosi.” Shmonkey and Skajlab and I just went to a Peter Murphy concert. Someone sat by me who had cigarettes, but no lighter. I had a lighter, but no cigarettes. As we smoked, she said she hoped Peter Murphy, who currently lives in Turkey, performed Béla Lugosi’s Dead as an encore. Everybody danced.

god is a circle

Next week's prompt: "I, now thirty-seven years old in perfect health begin, Hoping to cease not till death." Walt Whitman, "Song of Myself"

Be sure to read the companion post at Shmonkey's Jungle. Past participants in Project Blog It have been Crash Course, Fire Flower, and Vox Minerva.

2 comments:

Blac Raven said...

This is indeed abstract, at least for me. God... not easy to describe and almost never easy to convince others...
One quote that I came across, "Man is a circle of finite radius and centre at one point. God is a circle of infinite radius and centre at all points". And one more quote to add, "If triangles had a God, He would have three sides".
:)

Road Trip Girl said...

I think maybe I started with the detail and ended with the description - at the end, I said god is a circle, but started with my supporting evidence (the story) - starting with the end and ending with the beginning, but really there is neither one