25 July 2008

“I, now thirty-seven years old in perfect health begin, Hoping to cease not til death.” Walt Whitman, “Song of Myself”

Shayne Shayne Shayne

Official biographers claim that her birth at Enchanted Rock was foretold by a howler monkey, and heralded by the appearance of a triple rainbow over the pink granite monolith and new stars in the sky.

The song of myself
Is played on a guitar
With no strings attached

The song of myself
Is written in the empty space
Between the treble and the bass clef

The song of myself
Is denoted on a register so low
It can only be felt
Like earth moans

The song of myself
Will never be a free itunes download
Given out a Starbucks

The song of myself
Is an impromptu concert, an experience
Like that time so many years ago…
It is feels like a dream
But never quite too good to be true
Next week’s prompt: pure and utter nonsense

1 comment:

Shmonkey said...

This is an excellent poem, and true song of yourself. I like the shift between the abstract and the concrete. Your style and language choice are so much like Nikki Giovanni.